Master of Arts (Biblical Studies)
As a Christian institution of higher education, Faulkner University’s Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) program reflects our efforts to study and communicate the knowledge of God’s Word and to foster professional ministry that draws on a deep understanding of the Christian principles and ethics that shape the university’s mission.
The Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) program provides a strong core curriculum with a biblical emphasis. The program provides a strong preparation for effective service in the church and a solid foundation for additional training in biblical studies.
The specific objectives for the MA(BS) program are for graduates to
- be prepared for employment within the field of preparation or a closely related field, or entrance into additional graduate studies, and
- to have a thorough knowledge of the Bible and related areas in Biblical Studies, qualifying them to teach undergraduate course in Bible.
The primary student learning outcome for this program is for a graduate to demonstrate knowledge of the biblical text and effectiveness in research, as assessed by GPA, and score on the comprehensive examination.
This graduate program requires 36 semester hours of coursework, which may or may not include a thesis.
To continue in the program a MA(BS) student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
MA(BS) courses are offered both through traditional classroom delivery and through distance learning online.
*A written comprehensive exam and an oral exam or interview are required for graduation from online masters degree programs.
MA(BS) Course Requirements
Core MA(BS) Courses – 21 hours (seven courses)
(Nine courses for students without undergraduate Biblical Studies degrees)
Three semester-hour courses:
BI 5300 Introduction to Graduate Biblical Studies
BI 5301 Biblical Interpretation
BI 5305 Advanced Introduction to the Old Testament
BI 5306 Old Testament Theology
BI 5318 Studies in Biblical Backgrounds
BI 5320 Advanced Introduction to the New Testament
BI 5321 New Testament Theology
Zero semester-hour courses
Only for students without undergraduate Biblical Studies degrees:
BI 5002 Orientation to Biblical Literature
BI 5003 Orientation to Critical Studies
MA(BS) Electives – 15 hours (five courses)
See KGST Catalog for course listings.
Students who choose thesis option take three content courses plus two thesis courses.
BI 5089 MA(BS) Comprehensive Examination
Prospective students who wish to enroll in the Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Completed Application.
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; you must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Three letters of recommendation with specific comments regarding the applicant’s academic work, professional experience and ability to successfully complete graduate study. At least one recommendation must be from a church leader.
- A goals statement of at least 1000 words specifying personal goals and stating ways that the Master of Arts program at Faulkner University will contribute to those goals. Include in this goals statement: (1) background preparation for the degree; (2) basis for the choice of the KGST; (3) spiritual and academic goals; (4) impact of the degree sought on financiers and personal, employment, and family time. A student must obtain a score of 40 or above (out of 60 possible points) as partial qualification for admission..
A maximum of six semester hours can be transferred into the M.A. (Biblical Studies) program from a regionally accredited institution. Transfer hours must be approved by the dean of biblical studies.
- Submit a completed online application.
- Complete and print the Official Transcript Request form and submit it to all previously attended schools with the appropriate fee.
- Send all additional items via mail to:
Attn: Graduate Enrollment
5345 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery, AL 36109
2019-2020 Financial Information
|Tuition||$550 per semester hour|
|Eagle I Initiative Fee||$100 per semester ($50 if 3 hours or less)|
|Registration Fee||$120 per semester ($60 if 3 hours or less)|
|Online Course Fee||$60 per semester hour|
|Applicable Course Fees||see full tuition and fee schedule|