Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
The BSHS program provides a broad understanding of the scientific underpinnings of the health sciences, but also includes content in medical terminology, healthcare delivery systems, healthcare administration/leadership, bioethics, statistics and research, cultural competency, inter-professional practice, and healthcare law, as well as key skills such as effective oral and written communication.
The BSHS is a bachelor’s degree that prepares students to apply for a graduate degree in health sciences.
The BSHS offers 4 tracks:
- Speech-language pathology
- Physician assistant
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
Upon graduating with a BSHS in one of the four tracks of the program, students will have acquired all course requirements to enter the respective Faulkner CHS graduate program to become a licensed healthcare provider.
BSHS Program Goals
- Prepare students for graduate level study with a rigorous theoretical and scientific base in health sciences.
- Teach students the processes of the healthcare system, inter-professional practice, evidence-based practice, and bioethics.
- Develop students’ oral and written communication skills that are required for successful careers in the health sciences.
- Train students to be the hands and feet of Christ by serving individuals and their families using their health science knowledge and skills.
BSHS Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the BSHS program, students will:
- Apply the principles of biological and physical sciences to the health sciences (Program Goal 1).
- Demonstrate introductory level understanding of basic assessment, diagnostic, and treatment modalities (Program Goal 1).
- Describe the healthcare system, differentiating between levels of care, various healthcare providers, and types of third-party payers (Program Goal 2).
- Interpret and evaluate contemporary professional issues, such as inter-professional practice, bioethics, and evidence-based practice (Program Goal 2).
- Articulate ideas clearly through oral communication and written language skills (Program Goal 3).
- Participate in service to the community related to the health science professions (Program Goal 4)
Graduate Health Science Programs Timeline
a. Enrolled SLP Cohort 1 Aug 2018. SLP Cohort 1 had 100% graduation rate and 100%
employed within 6 months of graduation
b. SLP Cohort 2 is currently in year 2 of their program
c. SLP Cohort 3 enrolled in August 2020
d. Accepting applications for SLP Cohort 4
a. Enrolls PA Cohort 1 in Oct 2020
b. Accepting applications for PA Cohort 2
Accepting applications for FALL 2022
a. Developing program
b. Will submit accreditation documents in Dec 2020
c. Plans to enroll OT Cohort 1 in August 2022