Master of Arts in Biblical Studies
As a Christian institution of higher education, Faulkner University’s Master of Arts in Biblical Studies is a reflection of our efforts to study and communicate the knowledge of God’s Word and foster professionals with a deep understanding of the Christian principles and ethics that shape the university’s mission.
The Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) provides a strong core curriculum with a biblical emphasis and two areas of concentration to select from that focus your degree program into a specific area of interest. The curriculum’s totality provides a strong preparation for more effective service in the church and a solid foundation for additional training in biblical studies and practices.
The graduate program is 36 semester hours, with the option of 30 hours of coursework and a thesis or 36 hours of coursework. Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for continued admission. The graduate degree consists of core curriculum made up of 18 semester hours as well as 12 credits in an area of concentration. Areas of concentration are:
- Old Testament (English Bible or Primary Languages)
- New Testament (English Bible or Primary Languages)
- Biblical Languages
*A written comprehensive exam and an oral exam or interview is required for graduation.
Core course requirements (18 hours)
- BI 5300 Introduction to Graduate Biblical Studies
- BI 5301 Biblical Interpretation
- BI 5305 Advanced Introduction to the Old Testament
- BI 5320 Advanced Introduction to the New Testament
- BI 5306 Old Testament Theology
- BI 5321 New Testament Theology
Students will take an additional 12 hours in their concentration area and have the option to complete a thesis or take two additional electives.
Additional requirements for the Biblical Languages track
- BI 5307 Readings in the Hebrew Old Testament
- BI 5308 Exegesis of the Hebrew Bible
- BI 5314 Biblical Aramaic
- BI 5322 Readings in the Greek New Testament
- BI 5323 Exegesis of the Greek New Testament
- BI 5089 Comprehensive Examination
- BI 5330 Introduction to Akkadian
- BI 5334 Introduction to Syraic
Prospective students who wish to enroll in the Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) program must meet the following admission requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; you must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Three letters of recommendation with specific comments regarding the applicant’s academic work, professional experience and ability to successfully complete graduate study. At least one recommendation must be from a church leader.
- A goal statement (approximately 250 words) specifying the applicant’s personal goals for their professional development, including how the Master of Arts (Biblical Studies) program at Faulkner University will contribute to those goals.
- A maximum of six semester hours can be transferred into the M.A. (Biblical Studies) program from a regionally accreditation institution. Transfer hours must be approved by the dean of biblical studies.