Associate of Arts/Science in Liberal Arts
Faulkner University offers an online Associate of Arts and an online Associate of Science degree in Liberal Arts. The College of Arts and Sciences emphasizes the importance and versatility of a liberal arts education. The degree allows students to obtain an associate degree but also prepares them for entrance to bachelor degree programs in the university’s various colleges.
The online associate degree is the credential you need to take your career where you want it to go. It serves as an academic foundation for further learning, and to advance your career.
Faulkner takes a liberal arts approach to their associate degree curriculum by emphasizing writing, reading, critical thinking and research. This emphasis is combined with focus in math, science or business to help create well rounded students that are prepared to continue their education. The program consists of classes scheduled in two eight-week sessions or one sixteen week session per term. This allows students to concentrate their effort on only two courses simultaneously.
- BI 1211 or BI 1311 Life of Christ (2‑3 hours)
- BI 1214 or BI 1314 Book of Acts (2‑3 hours)
- BI 2202 or BI 2302 Pentateuch (2‑3 hours)
- BI Elective (2‑3 hours)
Total Hours 8‑12
Cultural Heritage Literacy
- HU 1310 Western Cultural Heritage I (3 hours)
- HU 1320 Western Cultural Heritage II (3 hours)
- HU 2310 Western Cultural Heritage III (3 hours)
- HY 2320 American Cultural Heritage (3 hours)
Total Hours 12
Mathematical and Scientific Literacy
- MH 1338 Finite Math (or higher) (3 hours)
Physical Science Requirement
- One course from any of the Physical Sciences (3 hours)
Natural Science Requirement
- One course from the Biological Sciences (3 hours)
Total Hours 9
Information and Communication Literacy Hours
Composition and Literature
- EH 1301 English Composition I (3 hours)
- EH 1302 English Composition II (3 hours)
- EH 2301 or Survey of English Literature I or
- EH 2303 or Survey of English Literature I or (3 hours)
- EH 2304 Survey of American Literature II
- EH 1303 Speech Communication (3 hours)
Technology (One course from the following list)
- CA 1302 Computer Application (3 hours)
- CS/CSIS 1305 Computer Programming I (3 hours)
- CSIS 1301 Introduction to Computer and Information Science
- ED 2325 Technology in the Classroom (3 hours) (required for seeking ED degrees)
Total Hours 15
Personal and Social Literacy Hours
- PE 1300 Lifetime Fitness (3 hours)
Social Science (one course from the following list) (3 hours)
- BA 2303 Macroeconomics
- CJ 1300 Introduction to Criminal Justice
- COU 2320 Introduction to Counseling
- CSIS 2315 Computers, Ethics, and Society
- INF 2315 Information, Ethics, and Society
- PS 2308 Introduction to American Constitutional Government
- PY 1310 Introduction to Psychology
- SY 2328 Introduction to Sociology
Total Hours 6
The elective criteria differs for the Associate of Arts and the Associate of Science in Liberal Arts programs.
Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts Electives
This number decreases by one hour for each BI course taken as a 3-hour course. Six of these 12 hours must be from the areas of humanities (e.g., biblical studies, fine arts, foreign language, literature)
Associate of Science in Liberal Arts Electives
This number decreases by one hour for each BI course taken as a 3 hour course. Six of these 12 hours must be from the areas of mathematics, or physical or natural science.
Total Hours 12
Total hours to complete degree: 62 semester hours
*Students who take 2 hour BI classes will have to increase the number of elective hours to obtain the 62 hours needed for the degree.
- Submit a completed online application.
- Complete and print the Official Transcript Request form and submit it to all previously attended schools with the appropriate fee.
- $295 per semester hour
- $35 per semester hour online course fee
- View full tuition and fee schedule for all programs.