About Ashley Hamlett
Professor Hamlett joined the law school in 2010. She graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1990 with a degree in journalism and from the University of Alabama School of Law in 1993, where she served as Managing Editor of the Law and Psychology Review.
Professor Hamlett currently serves as an Administrative Law Judge for the Alabama State Personnel Board, hearing dismissal appeals and discrimination claims. Previously, she served as Deputy Attorney General for the State of Alabama representing the State Department of Education, where her practice focused on school law, employment law, and administrative law. She later represented the Alabama Department of Public Health, where she continued to practice employment and administrative law, while she also focused on health law. She is a member of the Alabama State Bar, where she regularly contributed to and served as Editor and Associate Editor of the Addendum, the state bar newsletter. She is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Alabama and before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Professor Hamlett teaches Legal Research and Writing and Legal Drafting.
She is an active member of her church, where she has chaired several community outreach efforts and teaches children’s Sunday school and leads the women’s Bible study.
B.S, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill;
J.D., University of Alabama School of Law
- Employment Law for Supervisors, Alabama Air National Guard, Montgomery, Alabama, January 14, 2004.
- Legal Issues in Case Management, Alabama Department of Public Health Case Management Training, quarterly beginning December 1998 to July 2003.
- HIPAA Privacy Training, Alabama Department of Public Health Statewide Satellite Conference, February 19, 2003.
- Legal Lessons Learned: Health Officials and Counsel Using Law as a Public Health Tool, Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, Nashville, Tennessee, September 12, 2002.
- Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Deep South Center for Occupational Health and Safety, February 2000.
- Legal Aspects of WIC Prosecutions, Alabama Council on Welfare Fraud, Orange Beach, Alabama, November 1999.
- Patient Rights and Home Health Care Ethics, Alabama Department of Public Health Nationwide Satellite Conference, May 1999.
- Teacher Tenure Law and the Fair Dismissal Act, Alabama Association of School Administrators, Guntersville, Alabama, October 1996.
- Employment Law for School Administrators, Alabama State Department of Education video, January 1996.
- Addendum (Alabama State Bar Newsletter), 2003-2008, Associate Editor, 2000-2003.
- Book Review: In the Bleak Midwinter, Addendum, August 2006
- Public Service Involves Politics, Addendum, June 2004
- Communicable Diseases in Schools, Alabama School Boards, September 2001.
- A View From the Bench, Addendum, February 2000.
- Calling All Kids (Children’s Health Insurance Program), Addendum, February 1999.
- A Good Calendar Can be a Lifesaver, Addendum, November 1998.
- Unauthorized Practice of Law in Alabama, Addendum, February 1997.