Audition Dates for Fall 2024 Admittance:
Saturday, January 20, 2024: Band and Chorus
Saturday, February 17, 2024: Band and Chorus
Saturday, April 13, 2024: Color Guard only
guidelines and then schedule an audition on the calendar.
Annual scholarships are available for all students who perform in Faulkner's musical ensembles. A music major is not required.
An audition is required for all students.
If students are interested in majoring or minoring in music, an additional interview is required.
For students unable to attend one of our official audition dates, please choose an alternate day and time on our auditions calendar. Often auditions can be scheduled on the same day as your campus visit.
Choral Audition Requirements
Students interested in auditioning for the Faulkner University Chorus should be prepared to do the following:
- Match pitch patterns – Several brief pitch patterns (i.e., short series of notes) will be played on the piano. You will be asked to listen to and immediately “echo” each pattern by singing what you hear. This will be used to measure your ability to hear pitches and accurately match them with your voice.
- Sight-sing several short melodies – For each melody, a key orientation and starting pitch will be given. You will then be asked to sing the melody (unaccompanied) by reading the notated music. You may use a sight-singing method (e.g., solfege or numbers) but it is not required. This will be used to assess your music literacy level.
- Sing My Country, ‘Tis of Thee in multiple keys – A score will be provided and a starting pitch will be given. You will be asked to sing the melody (unaccompanied) in several different keys. This will be used primarily to determine range and timbre. Secondarily, it will be used to assess factors such as breath management, diction, and intonation.
Band Audition Requirements
Students interested in auditioning for the Faulkner University Band should be prepared to do the following:
- Instrumentalists: Prepare two pieces of contrasting styles. Music similar to that used for All-State auditions is appropriate. You may also be asked to sight-read and play scales.
- Percussionists: Play one prepared selection of your own choice. In addition, you will also be expected to sight-read and play a few short exercises and fundamental rudiments. You may also wish to prepare additional solo pieces that demonstrate your skill on mallet instruments, timpani, etc.
- Color Guard and Majorettes: You must be present on that date to audition. Click here for additional information.
Music Scholarship Requirements
- Participate in at least one ensemble per semester.
- Maintain good standing in the ensemble.
- Faithfully attend all rehearsals and performances of the ensemble.
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
Additional Scholarship Requirements for Music Majors and Minors
- Take private lessons on primary instrument each semester as part of coursework toward degree.
- Perform regularly in student recitals held each semester.
Students will be evaluated by the music faculty at the end of each year to determine whether music scholarships will be continued, increased, decreased, or discontinued.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where will auditions be held?
Auditions will take place in the Pop M. Myers Fine Arts building, located at the far right back corner of campus. Auditioning students should plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to their appointed time and report to the main lobby upon arrival to check in.
What should I wear?
Students should be well-dressed for their audition. Although blue jeans are not appropriate, slacks or a skirt or dress are.
Will there be a place to warm up prior to my audition?
Yes, there are several practice rooms located inside the Fine Arts Center where you will be able to warm up on the day of your audition. We will direct you to them when you check in.
Can I audition for more than one ensemble?
Yes. Many of our students participate in more than one musical ensemble at Faulkner, and we always encourage them to do so! Simply indicate your desire to audition for more than one ensemble on your application, and we will be sure to schedule both of your auditions on the same day as close together as possible.
Will an accompanist be available, or should I plan to bring my own?
You won’t need an accompanist to audition for either band or chorus. Instrumental students will perform on their own instrument, and any pitches or harmonizations for vocalists will be provided during the audition.
Still have questions?
We are happy to help. Please contact Dr. Allen Clements for choral audition inquiries, and Dr. Stephen Foster for band audition inquiries. Their contact information is listed below.
- About Faulkner
- Where is Faulkner?
- Shop Online Store
- Three-Year Master Calendar
- Consumer Information
- Faculty and Staff
- Human Resources
- University Communications
- Alumni & Friends
- Friends for Faulkner