Meal Plan Accommodations
Policies and Procedures
It is Faulkner University policy that all on-campus residents are required to purchase a 14 or 20 meal per week plan. Meal plans may be used at the J.L. Perry Cafeteria or the Grille, which offer a variety of hot entrees, sandwiches, salads or snacks.
Faulkner recognizes the some students may have medical conditions that require special diets and/or special care through dining services. Through the collaborative efforts of the Center for Disability Services and the Campus Dining program, meals that meet the needs of individuals that require special diets and/or special care are created. If, through the collaborative efforts, no reasonable accommodations can be designed, students may request an exemption to the meal plan through Disability Services. In order to ensure that each request is considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should follow the guidelines listed below.
Guidelines for Documentation
Students who wish to request medical accommodations for the meal plan should have their qualified evaluator submit a letter containing the following information:
- A current statement of the diagnosis and date of onset
- A summary of the procedures and laboratory results used to arrive at the diagnosis.
- Explain why the regular menu with self-selection is detrimental to the student’s health.
- List the diet/diets recommended for this student.
- Indicate if this student should receive guidance in how to select food appropriate for his/her diet.
- An estimate of the length of time that this treatment will be necessary
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician. Documentation on prescription pads is not acceptable.
When the documentation is received it will be reviewed and a consultation with a physician will be scheduled as necessary. Students will be notified of the decision as soon as possible.
All documentation should be sent to:
5345 Atlanta Highway
Montgomery, AL 36109