Students of all ages often benefit from seeing a caring school counselor. This field needs compassionate individuals to support students in social, academic, and family mental health needs, but many master’s in school counseling programs include in-person attendance requirements that make it difficult for working adults to participate. At Faulkner University, a private, Christian liberal arts institution located in Montgomery, Alabama, adult students can complete the Master of Education School Counseling program online without compromising their work and family commitments. Upon completion of your degree, you’ll be prepared to provide the mental health services youth need to thrive in school and beyond.
How to Apply
- Submit a completed online application.
- Complete and print the Official Transcript Request form and submit it to all previously attended schools with the appropriate fee.
- Send all additional items via mail to:
Attn: Graduate Enrollment
5345 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery, AL 36109
Prospective students enrolling in the Master of Education School Counseling program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Completed graduate application
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; you must provide transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Passing scores on the MAT (at least 370) or GRE (at least 280). Exam results cannot be more than five years old and must be forwarded directly to Faulkner from the testing service.
- Three letters of recommendation with specific comments regarding the applicant’s academic work, professional experience and ability to successfully complete graduate study. The letters are usually from the applicant’s faculty members or supervisory personnel.
- A goal statement (approximately 600 words) specifying the applicant’s personal goals for their professional development as a school counselor and future employment in the field. The statement should include a rationale for attending Faulkner University to help reach their goals as well as a description of previous professional experience and how that experience will support them in the program and professional field of counseling.
- Valid class A or B Alabama teaching certificate
- Completed form from principal or other school official verifying 2 years of full-time acceptable professional educational work experience
- Proof of criminal background check (if one already has been completed, if not please refer to the academics section for further instruction).
Tuition and Fees
2021-2022 Financial Information
|Tuition||$475 per semester hour|
|General Fee||$300 per semester ($200 if 5 hours or less)|
|Online Course Fee||$70 per semester hour|
|Applicable Course Fees||see full tuition and fee schedule|
Study Online In a Christian Learning Environment
Courses at Faulkner University are led by dedicated instructors who bring extensive counseling and educational experience to the classroom. Students attending online receive a high-quality education based on the same curriculum and instructional methods used at our Montgomery, Mobile, Birmingham, and Huntsville campuses, so you can feel confident in your degree. The real-world perspectives of our instructors will prepare you for work at:
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Public and private institutions
Students also study within an ethical and moral framework shaped by the university’s Christian values. This strong foundation provides the guidance you need to deliver compassionate, insightful service to students and school communities throughout your career.
Our Master’s in School Counseling Program’s Flexible Online Approach
The Master of Education School Counseling online program includes 56 hours of instruction plus clinical training. Students complete 15 courses in addition to this practical experience, which include:
Instructional Support Area
- COU 6310 Counseling Theories
- COU 6311 Introduction to School Counseling
- COU 6320 Life Span Development
- COU 6325 Career and Guidance Counseling
- COU 6330 Counseling Diverse Populations
- COU 6335 Child and Adolescent Counseling
- COU 6350 Group Counseling
- COU 6360 Measurement and Assessment
- COU 6375 Legal and Ethical Issues
- COU 6385 Substance Abuse Counseling
- COU 6355 Crisis Intervention
- COU 6595 Clinical Training for School for Counseling
Education and Field Experience
- FED 6342 Multicultural Education
- FED 6345 Differentiated Instruction
- FED 6380 Action Research
In addition to the fully online coursework noted above, students will attend clinical training at our Montgomery campus as part of their education and field experience module. These courses include:
- COU 6995 Internship in Counseling
- COU 6390 Counseling Practicum
Master of Education School Counseling Online Program Requirements
When applying to the Master of Education School Counseling online program, students must meet several requirements before admission is granted. All students must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, a valid class A or B Alabama teaching certificate, and a completed form verifying at least two years of full-time eligible professional educational work experience.
To achieve certification, program participants must:
- Achieve a 3.25 GPA or higher in all COU coursework
- Earn a passing score on the Praxis II (5421 with a passing score of 151)
Further requirements apply.
Complete Your Master’s Degree in Educational Counseling Online
Working with children offers a rewarding career path that helps you improve the mental health and overall well-being of your community. Get the education and flexibility you need to pursue work in this field with the Master of Education School Counseling online program from Faulkner University. Contact us today for more information or apply online now at no cost to you.
- Apply Now
- Online Master’s Degrees
- Biblical Studies
- Online Master of Arts in Christian Ministry Degree
- Online Master of Arts in Family Life Ministry
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Elementary Education Class A Certification
- Elementary Education – Alternative A
- Executive Master of Business Administration
- Justice Administration
- School Counseling