Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts
The College of Arts and Sciences emphasizes the importance and versatility of a liberal arts education. The degree allows students to obtain an associate degree but also prepares them for entrance to bachelor degree programs in the university’s various colleges.
Christian Literacy* 8-12 hours
- BI 1211 or BI 1311 Life of Christ (2-3 hours)
- BI 1214 or BI 1314 Book of Acts (2-3 hours)
- BI 2202 or BI 2302 Pentateuch (2-3 hours)
- BI 2203 or BI 2303 Conquest through the Divided Kingdom (2-3 hours)
Cultural Heritage Literacy 12 hours
- HU 1310 Western Cultural Heritage I (3 hours)
- HU 1320 Western Cultural Heritage II (3 hours)
- HU 2310 Western Cultural Heritage III (3 hours)
- HY 2320 American Cultural Heritage (3 hours)
Information and Communication Literacy 15 hours
Composition and Literature
- EH 1301 English Composition I (3 hours)
- EH 1302 English Composition II (3 hours)
- Choose one of the following: (3 hours)
- EH 2301 Survey of English Literature I or
- EH 2303 Survey of American Literature I or
- EH 2304 Survey of American Literature II
EH 1303 Speech Communication (3 hours)
Choose one of the following: (3 hours)
- CA 1302 Computer Applications or
- CS 1305 Computer Programming I or
- CSIS 1301 Introduction to Computer and Information Science or
- ED 2325 Technology in the Classroom (required for seeking ED degrees)
Mathematical and Scientific Literacy 11 hours
MH 1338 Finite Math (or higher) (3 hours)
One course from Physical Science, Chemistry, or Physics (4 hours) with companion lab
One course from Biology (4 hours)with companion lab
Personal and Social Literacy 7 hours
- FASL 1090 Experience in Service Learning I
- FASL 2090 Experience in Service Learning II
- PE 1300 Lifetime Fitness (3 hours)
- One of the following: (1 hour)
- FAFE 1111 Freshman Experience or
- FATE 2111 Transfer Experience***
Choose one of the following: (3 hours)
- BA 2303 Macroeconomics or
- CJ 1300 Introduction to Criminal Justice or
- COU 2320 Introduction to Counseling or
- CSIS 2315 Computers, Ethics, and Society or
- INF 2315 Information, Ethics, and Society or
- PS 2308 Introduction to American Constitutional Government or
- PY 1310 Introduction to Psychology or
- SY 2328 Introduction to Sociology
Electives – 11 hours
Core Curriculum Requirements 52-56 hours
Electives 8-12 hours
Total Hours Required for Graduation 64 hours
This number decreases by one hour for each BI course taken as a 3 hour course. Six of these 12 hours must be from the area of humanities (i.e. Biblical studies, fine arts, foreign language, literature, etc.).
*Students who take 2 hour BI classes will have to increase the number of elective hours to obtain the 64 hours needed for the degree.
**Students in adult programs are not required to take the lab courses, thereby reducing the total science requirement from 8 to 6 hours. However, additional elective credits will be required to maintain the 64 hours of credits required for the associate’s degree.
*** All incoming freshmen must complete FAFE 1111. Students transferring more than 12 semester hours will take FATE 2111 in lieu of FAFE 1111. Students in adult programs are not required to take FAFE 1111 or FATE 2111; however, additional elective credits will be required to maintain the 64 hours of credits required for the associate’s degree.
- Must be a high school graduate with a regular or advanced diploma or have a GED certificate
- If out of high school for less than five years, ACT (minimum 18 composite) or SAT (minimum 970) scores are required. ACT or SAT scores are not required for anyone having graduated high school more than five years ago.
- ACT or SAT scores are not required for transfer applicants with a minimum of 24 transferable hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Submit a completed online application.
- Request official transcripts from all previously attended schools be sent directly to the address below.
420 Wynn Drive
Huntsville, AL 35805
- $300 per semester hour
- $55 per semester hour fee for courses completed online
- View full tuition and fee schedule for all programs.