Faulkner Faculty Spotlight: Grover Plunkett

grover-plunkettYears at Faulkner? 
I began working at Faulkner in the summer of 2008 as an adjunct and them came on board in January 2012 as a full time professor. So combined, I will have 10 years at Faulkner in June, 2017. Full time, 5 years.
Education? 
I have a BS, Commerce and Business Administration (Accounting) from the University of Alabama 1980; MS, Post-Secondary Education (History Emphasis) from Troy University, 2008; MS, Political Science from Auburn University Montgomery, 2013; MA, Liberal Arts, Faulkner University (All but Thesis); Completing PhD in Public Policy (International Relations and Economics) 2017.
Classes Taught? 
African American History, American Cultural Heritage, Western Cultural Heritage I, II, III, American History, Civil War/Reconstruction History, American Constitutional Government, State and Local Government, Comparative Governments, American Foreign Policy, Parties/Politics and Elections, Alabama History.
What attracted you to Faulkner University? 
I am attracted to Faulkner because of its emphasis on seeing all subject matter and disciplines through the Christian lens. Faulkner is striving to establish a Christian world view, for all its students, that equips them with the tools to engage the world as a practical Christian.
What do you enjoy most about Faulkner University? 
Without question, it is the students. I enjoy the exchange of ideas with those who are excited about learning and want to know more about whatever subject matter I present. The typical Faulkner student also teaches me a great deal about the generation that is following me. I need to know more about them in order to understand how best to address them.
What attracted you to your field of study? 
President Woodrow Wilson once said, “A people who know not from whence they came, cannot know who they are, nor where they are bound” History is a discipline that enlightens humanity with the successes and failures of the past.  If one know these things, when current events begin to resemble the events of the past, and knowing the human nature never changes, one can predict the outcomes of our present day actions. The humanities teach us what it is to be human. This is vitally important because as the only creature with the ability to know God, we can see God in all of creation and appreciate the beauty not only in nature (God’s creation) but the beauty in the creations of man that honor God. We then can fully understand what it is to be made in the image of God and as God’s ultimate creative expression. Political Science is the discipline of understanding the dynamics of gaining, retaining, and using power. For the Christian, seeing this discipline in the way Jesus expressed it to Pilate, “you have no power except that which has been given to you by my father above,” makes the Christian a unique force in the world or good.
What advice would you give students entering your classes or program? 
Bring an open mind!
What’s your favorite place in Montgomery? 
I suppose our downtown area is my favorite because history and politics are all around us there. We can see the beauty of just how unique Montgomery is…The Cradle of the Confederacy and the Birthplace of Civil Rights. What a testament to the diversity of our city.
Posted in: Uncategorized