Faulkner University offices will have a new phone system installed on Sept. 19. The university will be without voicemail until then.

Charles Nelson Stepping Down As Dean Of Faulkner Law

Dean Charles NelsonDean Charles Nelson will be ending his twelve-year tenure as Dean of Faulkner Law on June 1, 2017. After stepping down, Nelson will resume a teaching faculty role at the school.

Nelson became Dean of Faulkner Law in 2004 after leaving Pepperdine University’s School of Law where he had spent thirty-three years in the roles of professor and, later, assistant dean. Before accepting the position at Faulkner Law, Nelson considered retiring and moving back to Texas where he had practiced law years before. Instead, he chose to move to Montgomery and accept the challenge of attaining accreditation for the law school.

“I have been honored to serve as dean for twelve years,” Nelson said. “I look forward to seeing the wonderful progress that I anticipate from the leadership of the new dean and I hope that we will all unite behind whoever is chosen to assure that our school reaches its full potential.”

Nelson said that he can still recall the moment when he received the phone call indicating that Faulkner Law had received accreditation from the American Bar Association.

“I didn’t really know what to do,” Nelson said. “I remember looking out of my office – seeing everyone going about their business. I couldn’t decide whether I should try and get everyone together to relay the good news, or simply raise my arms in the air and let out a big yell.”

He decided to do the latter.

Faulkner University President Mike Williams thanked Nelson for his service to the University.

“The law school has accomplished so much during Nelson’s tenure and we want to thank him for his service,” Williams said. “Dean Nelson led the way to ABA accreditation, the expansion of the law school’s facilities, attracting a highly qualified and diverse faculty and staff, consistently high bar passage rates, development of a nationally recognized and award-winning advocacy program, and development of service-oriented clinical opportunities for Faulkner’s students. His successor will be able to build on a tremendous foundation.”

The work of finding Nelson’s successor has already begun. A search committee has been formed that includes members of university administration, Faulkner Law faculty and alumni. The future dean will be charged with advancing the Christian and educational mission of the law school, according to committee co-chair, Professor Mike DeBoer.

“I am pleased to serve with Dr. John Tyson and the other members of this committee. The committee has recently begun the process of seeking applicants and identifying candidates for the Faulkner Law Dean position,” DeBoer said. “In this national search, the committee is looking for well-qualified individuals with a record of accomplishment in the legal academy, the practice of law, or the judiciary. We invite both nominations and applications for this position.” 

Posted in: Uncategorized