Policy for Student Appeals

The Financial Aid Office routinely makes decisions concerning a student’s eligibility to initially receive or continue to receive student financial aid. You may appeal in writing all decisions that impact your eligibility to receive student financial aid. The appeal decision is made by the Director of Financial Aid.

Appeal Procedures

The following procedures have been developed in an effort to expedite the appeals process and to reach consistent decisions.

  • You appeal in writing, requesting that special consideration be given to a specific situation.
  • The Director of Financial Aid uses all sources available to make a decision on the request.
  • He approves or denies the appeal and notifies you.
  • If the appeal is approved, you are notified as to the specific restrictions of the approval.
  • His decision is the final decision of the Financial Aid Office.

Commonly requested exceptions to the policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress

You must submit a detailed letter explaining the causes beyond your control that brought about the current situation. The letter should include any documentation that would support the appeal (i.e. hospital records, etc.).

Exceeding the Maximum Time Frame

You must submit a detailed letter explaining why you have exceeded the maximum time frame, including valid reasons for an extension (e.g. transfer hours, change of major, etc.). The letter must include a specific list of the courses you are required to take in order to complete your degree.

Adjustment to Income/Professional Judgment

The Financial Aid Office will consider adjusting your (or your parent’s) income figures to reflect a change in employment if the change was involuntary, permanent, and resulted in substantial loss of income. You must submit a letter explaining the change in income. The letter must include valid reasons why the Financial Aid Office should consider an adjustment. You must also submit substantial third-party documentation of income change (e.g. separation from employment notice). Additionally, you must submit a statement of projected income to include sources of income and any other supporting documents such as check stubs or letters from employers. Additional information regarding the above exceptions is available from the Financial Aid Office.