Scholarship and Audition Guidelines
We are always interested in hearing from students wanting to major or minor in music, as well as from students majoring in other fields who are interested in participating in one of our choral and/or instrumental ensembles. Annual scholarships are available for both music majors and minors, as well as for non-majors who perform in one or more of our musical ensembles. The following information outlines the process for auditioning for ensembles and music scholarships.
An audition is required for all students, whether they are interested in majoring or minoring in music or performing in one of our choral and/or instrumental ensembles. In addition to determining placement in a musical ensemble, the audition is also used to determine music scholarship awards. An additional interview is also required for students interested in majoring or minoring in music.
Audition Dates (for Fall 2019 admittance):
For students unable to attend either of our official audition dates, please contact our music departmental secretary, Cathleen Bragg, (email@example.com; 334-386-7190) for an alternate day and time. Often auditions can be scheduled on the same day as your campus visit. Contact us as soon as your visit date is determined so your audition appointment can be determined as well. Be sure to let us know that you will be coming for a campus visit the same day as your audition so we can coordinate your audition time with the other activities that the admissions office will be planning for you that day.
Students interested in scheduling an audition should review the following audition guidelines and then click the following link to schedule an audition:
If you have any additional questions, please contact our music departmental secretary, Cathleen Bragg, (firstname.lastname@example.org; 334-386-7190).
The following guidelines should be followed when preparing for a music scholarship audition.
Chorus Audition Requirements
Students interested in auditioning for the Faulkner University Chorus should be prepared to do the following:
1) Match pitch patterns – Several brief pitch patterns (i.e., short series of notes) will be played on the piano. You will be asked to listen to and immediately “echo” each pattern by singing what you hear. This will be used to measure your ability to hear pitches and accurately match them with your voice.
2) Sight-sing several short melodies – For each melody, a key orientation and starting pitch will be given. You will then be asked to sing the melody (unaccompanied) by reading the notated music. You may use a sight-singing method (e.g., solfege or numbers) but it is not required. This will be used to assess your music literacy level.
3) Sing My Country, ‘Tis of Thee in multiple keys – A score will be provided and a starting pitch will be given. You will be asked to sing the melody (unaccompanied) in several different keys. This will be used primarily to determine range and timbre. Secondarily, it will be used to assess factors such as breath management, diction, and intonation.
Band Audition Requirements
Students interested in auditioning for the Faulkner University Band should be prepared to do the following:
1) Instrumentalists – Prepare two pieces of contrasting styles. Music similar to that used for All-State auditions is appropriate. You may also be asked to sight-read and play scales.
2) Percussionists – Play one prepared selection of your own choice. In addition, you will also be expected to sight-read and play a few short exercises and fundamental rudiments. You may also wish to prepare additional solo pieces that demonstrate your skill on mallet instruments, timpani, etc.
3) Color Guard and Majorettes – Auditions for the 2019 Color Guard and Majorettes will be held separately on Saturday, April 13, 2019 on the Faulkner University campus. You must be present on that date to audition. Watch for a link to the audition packet with detailed information to be posted here soon.
Music Major Audition Requirements
In addition to the ensemble audition requirements listed above, incoming B.A. majors should also prepare the following:
Vocal/Choral Majors – An art song/aria or musical theatre piece (accompaniment tracks are acceptable)
Instrumental Majors – (information forthcoming)
Scholarship recipients are required to participate in at least one ensemble per semester. The primary ensemble for choral students is the Faulkner University Chorus, and the primary ensemble for instrumental students is the Faulkner University Band. In addition to participation in the Faulkner University Chorus, choral students are also encouraged to audition for placement in the Faulkner Singers. In addition to participation in the Faulkner University Band, instrumental students are also encouraged to audition for placement in the Faulkner University Jazz Ensemble.
Scholarship recipients are required to maintain good standing with both Faulkner University and the ensemble/s in which they are participating. This includes faithfully attending all rehearsals and performances of their ensemble/s.
Scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
Scholarship recipients who are music majors are also required to take private lessons on their primary instrument each semester as part of their coursework toward their degree. Students taking lessons are expected to possess a good attitude and demonstrate consistent progress. They will also be expected to perform regularly in student recitals held each semester.
Students will be evaluated by the music faculty at the end of each year to determine whether music scholarships will be continued, increased, decreased, or discontinued.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where will auditions be held?
Auditions will take place in the Pop M. Myers Fine Arts building, located at the far right back corner of campus. Auditioning students should plan to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to their appointed time and report to the main lobby upon arrival to check in.
What should I wear?
Students should be well-dressed for their audition. Although blue jeans are not appropriate, slacks or a skirt or dress are.
Will there be a place to warm up prior to my audition?
Yes, there are several practice rooms located inside the Fine Arts Center where you will be able to warm up on the day of your audition. We will direct you to them when you check in.
Can I audition for more than one ensemble?
Many of our students participate in more than one musical ensemble at Faulkner, and we always encourage them to do so! Simply indicate your desire to audition for more than one ensemble on your application, and we will be sure to schedule both of your auditions on the same day as close together as possible.
Will an accompanist be available, or should I plan to bring my own?
You won’t need an accompanist to audition for either band or chorus. Instrumental students will perform on their instrument for Dr. Foster, and any pitches or harmonizations for vocalists will be provided by Dr. Clements during the audition.
Still Have Questions?
Please feel free to email Dr. Allen Clements (email@example.com) if you have additional questions about your choral audition, or Dr. Stephen Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have further questions about your band audition. We look forward to meeting you and hearing you audition!