Statement of Ethics in the Use of Computing Resources
Computing resources at Faulkner University require strict legal and ethical utilization by all users. The computing resources of the university should be used wisely and carefully. The following list, though not covering every situation, specifies some of the responsibilities that should accompany usage of Faulkner computing resources and the networks of which Faulkner is a member. All users are expected to abide by these regulations.
- All Faulkner rules of conduct as outlined in the Student Handbook and Catalog apply when using Faulkner's computing resources.
- All users are responsible for ensuring what they do is legal. For example, they must:
- not damage or steal equipment
- pay appropriate charges for printouts
- respect intellectual property rights
(no piracy or other copying)
- avoid slander and libel
- avoid chain letters and pyramid schemes
- avoid questionable Internet or email activities
- not create a Web page using Faulkner's
name or logo.
- Computer resource usage must be consistent with the goal of facilitating the exchange of non-commercial information in support of Faulkner's mission of education. Resources must not be used for a commercial purpose or monetary gain.
- Respect the privacy of other users' data. Programs, subroutines, and data provided by Faulkner may not be taken to other computer sites without written permission from the Faulkner Vice President for Finance. Users may not use programs obtained from commercial sources or other computer installations unless written authority to use them has been obtained from the Faulkner Vice President for Finance. Users may not use Faulkner computer equipment or software in violation of the terms of any licensing agreement.
- Do not interfere with others' use of the computer resources. This includes such activities as tying up computer resources for game playing or other trivial applications; sending frivolous, excessive or unwanted messages or mail either locally or over the networks, forging mail or credentials, using excessive amounts of storage, printing excessive copies of programs, files, or data, etc.
- Do not attempt to modify or crash any computer system, nor attempt to modify the restrictions associated with your computer login ID and password. Do not attempt to repair, disconnect, or remove any computer or computer equipment.
- Users must use ONLY the login ID and password that has been authorized for their use. Do not allow others to use your password and do not use anyone else's password. Do not share your password. Users are responsible for everything done with their password. Users should change their passwords frequently and avoid using their names, their spouses or friends' names, or any other password that could be easily guessed. Please be aware that access to the Internet produces a traceable log file of all sites visited by you, along with the general statistics for system running and problem solving.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the computer labs and other areas where computers are provided.
Users are prohibited from accessing, transmitting, receiving, displaying, viewing or storing offensive content, which includes, but is not limited to, sexual comments or images, racial slurs, gender specific comments or any comments that would offend someone on the basis of their age, sex, national origin or disability. Users are prohibited from displaying, sending, printing, or storing sexually explicit, graphically disturbing, obscene, pornographic, fraudulent, harassing, threatening, abusive, racist, or discriminatory images, files or messages in utilizing any campus University computing facility or resource or in any campus location.
Inappropriate use of Faulkner's computer resources may result in cancellation of computing privileges. Violators may also be subject to disciplinary procedures of the University. Faulkner University reserves the right to examine all computer files.
Any questions concerning ethical or legal use of computing resources should be directed to the Faulkner Vice President of Finance.