Poe and Rush Win 12th Annual J. Greg Allen Mock Trial Competition

Faulkner University’s Jones School of Law held its 12th annual J. Greg Allen Mock Trial Competition August 20th-22nd.  Named in honor of Greg Allen (JSL ’82), the intrascholastic skills competition pits third-year law students against one another to determine who will anchor Faulkner Law’s trial teams throughout the school year.

Teams of two presented both sides of their case on Thursday and Friday nights. The four teams with the best record advanced to the semi-final round on Saturday morning. The winners of the semi-finals advanced to the finals on Saturday afternoon.

The semi-finalist teams included: Aubrey Rush and Cody Poe; Jamie Campbell & Elliott Smith; Kia Scott & Billy Phillippi; and Serena Cronier & Trey Odom. Team Rush and Poe, along with team Campbell and Smith, advanced to the finals. Trey Odom received the Outstanding Advocate Award for the competition.

Judge volunteers for this year’s competition included attorneys from the Governor’s Office, the Attorney General’s Office, the Office of Pardons & Paroles, the Alabama Supreme Court, as well as practitioners from Rushton Stakely, Beasley Allen, Ball Ball Matthews, Sasser Sefton and Brown, and other solo offices throughout the state.  In addition to the Alabama attorney volunteers, the competition also welcomed judges from the U.S. Attorney’s Office and four different state district attorneys’ offices.

“It is an honor to have won this year’s Greg Allen Mock Trial Competition,” said Poe.  “I am thankful for the gifts God has blessed me with and for my classmates who continue to challenge me to use God’s gifts for Him. I could not have asked for a better teammate, who at the outset challenged me to have fun first and win second.”

For more information, please contact Rachel Miller, Director of External Relations, at rmiller@faulkner.edu.

Posted in: Faulkner News, Law News