Suspicious Objects and Bomb Threats
If you observe a suspicious object or potential bomb on a Faulkner campus or other property, then take the following actions:
- Do not handle the object and clear the area immediately.
- Notify Campus Security at (334) 386-7250 and the Center Director at extended campuses.
- Call 911 and report the object.
If you receive a bomb threat on a Faulkner campus or other property, then take the following actions:
- Ask the caller
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does it look like?
- Why did you place the bomb?
- Keep talking to the caller as long as possible.
- Notify Campus Security at (334) 386-7250 and the Center Director at extended campuses. Campus security officers in conjunction with others will conduct a detailed bomb search.
- Employees are requested to make a cursory inspection of their area for suspicious object and to report the location to Campus Security.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE OBJECT(S)!
- Do not open drawers, cabinets, or turn light on or off.
- If an emergency exists, activate the building alarm.
- CAUTION: THE BUILDING ALARM ONLY SOUNDS IN THE BUILDING WHERE ACTIVATED.
- You must report the incident by phone.
- When the building evacuation alarm is sounded or an emergency exists, walk quickly to the nearest marked exit and alert others to do the same. See Evacuation Procedures for more details.
- Resident Supervisors and Assistants are designated to assist disabled resident students during an emergency. If a Resident Supervisors and Assistants are not available, others must assist persons with disabilities in exiting the building. Do not panic. Do not use elevators.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet away from the affected building. Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrants, and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as necessary.
- DO NOT RETURN TO AN EVACUATED BUILDING unless told to do so by an Emergency Resource Management Team official.
- Important: After any evacuation, report to a designated area assembly point.
Bomb Threat Information
Calmly and clearly ask These Questions:
- When is the bomb going to explode? (Specific Time)
- Where is it right now? (Location)
- What does it look like (Color, Shape, Size)?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your address?
- What is your name?
- Exact Wording of Threat:
- Sex of Caller:
- Length of call:
- Number at which call was received:
- Caller's demeanor
__ Clearing Throat
__ Deep Breathing
__ Cracked Voice
If the voice is familiar, whom did it sound like?
__ Street Noises
__ PA System
__ House Noises
__ Office Machinery
__ Factory Machines
__ Animal Noises
__ Long Distance
__ Other Threat
__ Well-Spoken (educated)
__ Taped Message
__ Read by Threat-Maker