General Procedures for Life Threatening Illness or Injury
In the event that a medical emergency occurs on a Faulkner University campus requiring emergency medical services, the following general procedures should be followed:
- Remain Calm
- Call 911 and report the emergency. Request an ambulance be sent.
Send someone to meet the emergency medical services and rescue crews at the street or building entrance.
- Do not move the person unless there is a threat to life to leave them in that location.
- Provide as much information to the dispatcher regarding the illness/injury as possible (nature of injury, location of person, age of person, etc.).
- If trained to administer first aid, such as bleeding control and CPR, do so.
- Be sure to wear personal protective equipment. Be aware of hazards associated with blood-borne pathogens.
- Do not come into contact with body fluids.
- If exposed to suspected infectious materials, wash the exposed area thoroughly with soap and water and seek medical attention.
- Do not jeopardize your health or the health of the patient. Wait for professional help if you are not able to provide proper first aid and safety.
- Remain with the party until help arrives.
- Comfort the patient and reassure them that medical assistance is on the way.
- If the medical emergency is related to an on-the-job injury contact the Human Resources Office at 334-386-7230 as soon as possible after the victim has been transported by the ambulance.
- If the medical emergency is related to visitor injury/accident, notify Campus Security at (334) 386-7250 or (334)-386-7508 and the Center Director at extended Campuses as soon as possible after the victim has been transported by the ambulance.
Questions or suggestions regarding the procedures and response on campus should be directed to Campus Security at (334) 386-7250 or email@example.com.
Procedures by Campus Location.