Return to Previous Page
Mark D. Linville
Lecturer / Supervisor Doctoral Research, Humanities
- PhD in Philosophy with a minor in South Asian Studies and a specialization in Philosophy of Religion, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MA in Philosophy, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MA in Philosophy of Religion, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- MA in Theology, Cincinnati Christian Seminary
- BA in Biblical Studies, Florida Christian College
- The Moral Argument: God and the Metaphysics of Morality (with Paul Copan). Under contract, Continuum Books. Projected publication: March 2013.
- Philosophy and the Christian Worldview: Analysis, Assessment and Development (edited, with David Werther). Forthcoming, Continuum Books.
- “Moral Particularism,” in R. Keith Loftin, ed., God and Morality: Four Views (InterVarsity Press, 2012).
- “The Moral Argument,” in J.P. Moreland and William Lane Craig (eds.), The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Company, June 2009).
- “The Moral Poverty of Evolutionary Naturalism,” in William Lane Craig and Paul Copan (eds.), Contending with Christianity’s Critics (Broadman and Holman, August 2009).
- “Why Bertrand Russell Was Not a Moral Realist, Either,” forthcoming in Philosophy and the Christian Worldview: Analysis, Assessment and Development (above).
- “Turnips and Taxi Cabs,” in Sean McDowell and Jonathan Morrow (eds.), Is God Just a Human Invention? (Kregel, 2010).
- Entry: “Moral Arguments for Theism,” in Taliaferro and Marty (eds.), A Dictionary of Philosophy of Religion (Continuum Books, 2010).
- What Is Truth? (with Paul Copan) InterVarsity Press, 2007.
- “Abortion and the Evangelical Conscience” published under the title “Tired of Life?” Salvo Magazine, issue number 8, Spring 2009.
- “The Moral Courage of the Human Mind,” published under the title “Indoctrination 101,” Salvo Magazine, issue number 5, Spring 2008. Reprinted in David S. Hogsette, ed., Writing That Makes Sense: Critical Thinking in College Composition (Wipf and Stock, 2009).
- “Strange Bedfellows: Peter Singer on Bestiality” published under the title, “Animal Urges,” Salvo Magazine, issue number 2, Spring 2007.
- “Livestock Exchange,” Touchstone Magazine, October 2006.
- “Of Relativists and Other Fabled Creatures,” published under the title, “Truth Café,” Touchstone Magazine, September 2006.
- “Just as He Was: Johnny Cash and His Mother’s Hymnbook,” Touchstone Magazine, December 2005.
- “In Praise of the Church Lady,” Christianity Today, November 2005.
- “Harman and Thomson on Relativism versus Realism,” Philosophia Christi, Winter 2004.
- Is Everything Permitted?: Moral Values in a World Without God (A Critical Questions booklet, RZIM: 2001).
- “A Defense of Human Dignity,” Faith and Philosophy (2000, 17:3).
- “A Little Lower Than the Angels: Christian Humanism and Environmental Ethics,” Christian Scholars Review (Winter 1998).
- “Ockhamists and Molinists in Search of a Way Out,” Religious Studies 31 (1995).
- “Divine Foreknowledge and the Libertarian Conception of Human Freedom,” International Journal for Philosophy of Religion (June 1993).
- “Euthyphro and His Kin: The Kantian Dilemma for Divine Command Morality,” in William Lane Craig and Mark McLeod (eds.), The Logic of Rational Theism, Edwin Mellen, 1990.
- “On Goodness: Human and Divine,” American Philosophical Quarterly (April 1990).
- Review of Yandell and Netland, Buddhism, forthcoming in Faith and Philosophy.
- Review of Stewart Goetz and Charles Taliaferro, Naturalism, forthcoming in Faith and Philosophy.
- Review of John Beversluis, C. S. Lewis and the Search for Rational Religion (Revised and Updated), forthcoming in Stone-Campbell Journal.
- Review of John Schellenberg, Prolegomena to Philosophy of Religion in Faith and Philosophy, July 2007.
- Review of James Sennett and Douglas Groothuis, A Defense of Natural Theology in Stone-Campbell Journal 2007.
- Review of Amanda Millay Hughes (ed.), Five Voices, Five Faiths in Stone-Campbell Journal 2006.
- Review of Russ Shafer-Landau, Whatever Happened to Good and Evil? In Philosophia Christi, Winter 2005.
- Panel discussion: “Prospects for Natural Theology in Our Time” (with Paul Copan, William Lane Craig, Stewart Goetz, and James Sinclair) SBL Convention, Boston, November 22, 2008.
- Scheduled speaker, “Earnestly Contending” Apologetics Conference, New Life Worship Center, Providence, R.I., November 20–22, 2008.
- “Professor Swinburne on God and Morality,” paper accepted for presentation to the British Society for Philosophy of Religion, September 2007.
- “Ethical Naturalism Defeated,” presented to the British Society for Philosophy of Religion, Oxford, U.K., September 2005.
- “A Defense of Human Dignity,” presented at a conference on Natural Theology, sponsored by the Gifford Bequest, Aberdeen, Scotland, June 2000.
- “A Defense of Human Dignity,” Society of Christian Philosophers, Eastern Division, University of South Carolina-Columbia, May 2000.
- “How to Bring About a World and Arrange Its History,” colloquium, University of St. Thomas, 1996.
- “Christian Humanism and Environmental Ethics,” public lecture, University of St. Thomas, 1996.
- Various papers read at meetings of Minnesota Philosophical Society and Iowa Philosophical Society, 1991–1997.